Thursday, February 13, 2014

Howling at the train

We started off the day in the usual way, a cup of coffee and the morning news. Interestingly, Buddy has a peculiar thing for trains. I've noticed two mornings in a row that when the 8 o'clock comes through and blows its whistle, he always responds with a long, resonating howl. It's quite a thing to behold.

Anyway, I took him south on the Greenway today, and we stopped in the arboretum for a couple hours to play ball. There's also a dog park there where Buddy was able to make a few friends and run free, though the husky he was playing with certainly gave him a run for his money.

I was so happy to find that when I let up on the leash later in the day, Buddy was staying completely in step. We must have gone a good three miles without him tugging or pulling me one bit. In passing, several people commented on what a well-behaved dog he was. This thing with the leash was a huge victory, since my right hand was starting to get a big blister. However, I'd determined not to use any sort of pain inflicting collar as it seemed counter productive to building a rapport, regardless of what some experts might say.

1 comment: