Sunday, February 9, 2014

Initial meetings

Mom and I took a drive out to Ellensburg today where we met a delightful half Doberman, half lab named Buddy. Playful as a puppy, and with the potential to be a real good friend, he's quite an amazing dog. Since his current owners will be moving, and cannot take him along we've decided to bring him out to Yakima for a couple weeks--sort of a test run, if you will--to see how he adjusts and whether he'll make a good traveling companion for the next leg of the upcoming hike.

Once we arrived in town, Mom took off and Buddy and I spent a little over an hour walking around Yakima. Though he likes to tug and gets sidetracked from time-to-time, I can tell that he won't be difficult to train. He's certainly a curious fellow, and was fully amiable to all those we came across.

He's currently boarding at a friend's place. She has a carriage barn in her backyard that should provide for a comfortable sleep. I know that Buddy was feeling a bit insecure when I left this evening. He doubtlessly felt the stress of separation from family and familiar surroundings; however, I hope that the time we spend training tomorrow will build the foundation of trust and allow him to get comfortable in this new place.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I can tell he'll make a special friend & companion. I heard from the coffee ladies that you stopped by & they met him this am :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. They liked him and even had some treats set aside.

      Delete
  2. Hey Lucas!! Dennis + Liz here! Buddy is a lucky dog to have met up with you!!! We hope you two create many fun memories together!! WOOF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. And I'm lucky as well. He's an incredible find.

      Delete